The wide-ranging success design can achieve is evidenced by the DBA Design Effectiveness Awards winners – year after year. We’re thrilled to have scooped up 3 Silver trophies for the 23rd consecutive year. As the global authority on design effectiveness, the DBA’s annual awards provide unrivalled evidence of the integral role design plays in transforming businesses, improving societies and enhancing people’s lives.
Our wins for DRTY Drinks, Westward Whiskey & Cinnamon Toast Crunch recognise the influence and success of the partnership and collaboration we share with our clients and the creative excellence of our amazing Pearlfisher project teams.
Here we’re sharing some of our favourite stats that have proven the power of design effectiveness:
Since the brand hit the market in October 2019, DRTY has exploded onto the hard seltzer scene with amazing results:
– Given the market is currently dominated by the big brands, DRTY owns 4% market share despite not being stocked in any major bricks-and-mortar supermarket chains.
– After just 18 months, DRTY is 40% bigger than they thought the brand would be. Despite losing on trade for a full year due to the pandemic, off-trade thrived!
– Before the product was even ready to sample, DRTY needed to secure pre-launch listings. They bagged both Ocado and Wholefoods as stockists with the online retailers specifically citing design as the reason for selecting DRTY.
Launching at the height of the pandemic in November 2020, and with no bartender to tell the story, Westward Whiskey’s redesign served up incredible results:
– Smashed growth target for sales by 280%
Richard Black, CMO of Westward:
“The rebrand has definitely changed the trajectory of the brand, from a decline of -23% in 2020 to growing 280% in 2021. The redesign has been the critical piece of this turnaround. It’s astonishing.”
– Amongst its competitive set of brands, Westward Whiskey ranked 7th out of 7. Following its redesign in 2021, Westward hit No.3 – and is positioned to rank No.1 by the end of 2022.
Cinnamon Toast Crunch
In partnership with General Mills, we helped take its iconic cereal brand to new heights – reigniting a new sense of purpose and increasing the growth of the cereal market:
– Following its redesign in June 2019, the brand is now driving category growth to represent a staggering 12% of ready-to-eat cereal growth.
– Phenomenal acceleration in sales saw the brand become the fastest-growing kids’ cereal brand in 2020 vs 2019.
– Outpacing market growth to achieve the brand’s largest market share since 2015 of 4.7% – the brand’s largest share in 6 years.
Comments from our Pearlfisher creative leads:
Partner, Design & Experience, David Jenkinson, “These awards are globally respected and coveted by agencies and clients alike, building confidence in design investment and growing thriving partnerships – and brands. We are so proud to be consistent winners and that’s thanks to the vision, commitment and partnership of our wonderful clients and Pearlfisher team.”
VP Executive Creative Director, Hamish Campbell, “The DBA’s are the gold standard in proving the power of design in creating brands that are as stand-out and beautiful as they are effective. It’s such a valued achievement and honour to once again be on their roll call of winners for this year – very proud of the project teams at the New York Pearlfisher Studio who worked on Westward Whiskey & Cinnamon Toast Crunch!”
Discover the full list of winners, here.